Readings for the day:
2Maccabees 7:1, 20-31
Psalm 17:1, 5-6, 8, 15
Luke 19: 11-28
“The most admirable and worthy of everlasting remembrance was the mother who saw her seven sons perish in a single day, yet bore it courageously because of her hope in the Lord”. This is an awesome wonder to delight in. This is quite demanding, after all the pain she went through during delivery and the nurturing of her seven sons, she let them all go in a day. She could likewise have spared her life and that of her sons, which would have made her one of the richest woman in town from the promise of the cruel king but she didn’t. Let’s run through several things that strike her out and is worthy of emulation:
1. She trusted in the Lord unwaveringly. She didn’t give up despite the butchering of her sons right in front of her. Her trust was like a solid rock unshaken despite the storms and utmost heat of humiliation and oppression she faced.
2. She lead by example. She showed the way to her sons not only by her loving words she spoke to them in their suffering but also lived out the very life of the words in their presence. Her motherly presence must have been a comfort in the sight of her sons. if she had fled, would the sons have stayed. Maybe not.
3. She was caring and protective. She showed different skills in persuading her sons not to fall prey to the persecutor by speaking in her native language. She cared for them right through the very end. She not only cared for their body by her education and support, she cared most for their soul. She cared about their salvation and helped them to work it out in trembling by following God’s way. She kept her protective wings around her children with the power of God in her.
4. She was courageous and possess a huge amount of perseverance. She has a womanly heart with the courage of a man. Her feet was steadfast in God’s path and she never faltered. She persevere in her suffering with the people she loved right to the very end.
5. She glorys in the joy of eternity. She believed in the mercy of God that her sons would be granted breath and life in the afterlife. She believed in the resurrection of the faithful, therefore she was not moved by the shades of the present times. She knew that they are the apple of God’s eyes and when God’s glory comes, her joy would be full.
Even though her name is unknown to us, her actions radiates God’s presence. She possess the fullness of a woman. She is a beautiful jewel to delight in, a crown to behold, the greatness of a martyr, a splendor of men and a model for generations to come. Women are the heart of every society. A mother is the beauty of a home and the grandeur of a family. This woman possess the virtues of the blessed virgin mary whom i have great devotion to.
Let us then seek the prayers of our blessed mother, who bore our Lord jesus christ, protected him by her flight from herod, who stood by him bearing the pain of the cross, to pray for us in these trying times in our world, especially for the persecuted christians (in the northern part of my country nigeria) and the victims of philippines that their courage, perseverance and love in God would never fade away through christ our Lord (Amen).